Tuesday 6 October 2009

Memories.....



I had to go to Aberdeen Infirmary yesterday as my blood sugars read so high at my GP appointment, I think the nurse was worried I'd die on her. I didn't. The care we got there was amazing. First of all, you get three hours free parking. Can you imagine our shock? We then went up to the diabetes ward and we made to wait almost five minutes before a lovely doctor came along and took us into a little room to discuss my plan of care. Because of my symptoms and age there was an uncertainty as to which type of diabetes I have. We agreed with the doctor that they would start me on tablets whilst they sent my bloods off to be tested. This is apparently a relatively new test which can determine the strain of diabetes. As we were discussing this, Hillary the lovely diabetes nurse came in and did a blood sugar and ketone reading. My blood sugar was 25.9 (the ideal is between 5 and 6) and my ketones were 4.2 (this should be 0). The two medical people almost cacked themselves and both said 'Insulin'. Ten minutes later I was picking out the 'pen' I wanted to use and injecting myself with my first bout of insulin. It didn't phase me too much as I remember doing it with the boys and I'm not particularly squeamish. It honestly doesn't hurt. The most painful thing is pricking your finger to get a drop of blood for the blood/ketone reader.

So yesterday was the first day of a brand new chapter in my life. I am a diabetic and I have to have four injections a day. I have had a few tears about it, but in the grand scheme of things, I have nothing to be upset about. I don't have a terminal illness, I have something that I can control and it means I need to look after myself. We were in with the diabetes team for two hours and they were brilliant. I cannot fault the NHS up here. It's just been fantastic. I saw a nutritionalist today, who again was great. I was under the impression I'd never be able to eat a piece of cake or chocolate again, but that's not case. As long as I always take my long lasting insulin at night and take the right dose of insulin before I eat something, nothing is really off limits. However it wouldn't be wise for me to eat unhealthily all the time. The nurse said, nobody never has a treat. I have no problem in changing my lifestyle. I don't actually eat that badly. I will need to exercise more. There's talk of buying a bike. Gulp.

Mum's up again. It's a great help having her here and I think she really loves it. She has spoken of getting a job at the local garden centre, which is where we hang out as it sells everything and has a lovely cafe. It's said in jest, but..... I love it when she's here.

We went into the city centre today, as it was where the appointment was. Cracking Primark. Sequins are very much the order of the day. The main shopping street is Union Street, but it's really long and i have no desire at the moment to walk the length of it. Went into Waterstones and bought two diabetes cook books. I think they are a bit of a money spinner but there were some lovely recipes in them. One of them is Diabetes cookbook for dummies, which seemed to have plenty advice on eating generally.


Kintore is as glorious as ever. It was really windy over the weekend. One of trees blew down, but our lovely gardener, Sandy (we don't have staff - he's included in the rent) fixed it for us. I was quite washed out again this weekend but we went out on Sunday. We drove over to Aviemore. I'm so glad we went. There's a steam railway there, which is why we went. We took the boys on the train and had a lovely time. Aviemore just made me so happy. It was like an amalgamation of loads of places we went to when we were travelling. Sort of Taupo, Jasper, Cuzco - esque. Reminded me of some great times John and I had when travelling. Days of just sitting in cafes and doing faff all. I miss them a little bit, but wouldn't change having the boys and a life of shouting 'no', 'leave it alone' and 'for the love of GOD'.
I'll be back soon. Me and the boys travel down on the 19th and go back on the 23rd. Would love to see you all at some point..... I miss you all.
S
xxx

3 comments:

  1. ahh sal. great post. def catch up when you are here. i love the sound of kintore, and the nhs service you get makes me want to cry. just brilliant. sounds like you are taking it all in your stride as ever. v inspiring lady. lots of love x

    p.s. does your mum still work in london? how wonderful would it be if she really did come to work at the garden centre!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh sal, so much has happened in a week since i last stopped by. such amazing words, always a dream to read and you have a real air of calmness considering. i hope now the diabetes is confirmed and you can manage it, that your life will be full of more energy and positivity.
    i miss you too, the weeks fly by and autumn is a struggle. i hope i get to see you when you're down, i have a large hug waiting just for you!
    x.

    p.s keep writing, you are really very good....x.

    ReplyDelete
  3. have enjoyed reading your blog so far. I hope your sugars are now coming down now that you're on insluin - they should. they only thing you need to watch is the more insulin you take the hungrier it can make you and the more weight you could possibly gain.

    this is a vicuous circle so keep up your exercise (walking and cycling!) as much as possible to ward off the unwanted fat storage xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete