Friday 18 September 2009

The first entry....

I'm starting this blog so I can keep my friends up to date with the going's on in my life. I was going to do a weekly group e-mail, but thought this would be a better way to keep in touch.
I've been meaning to start it since we moved in August, but with all the building of flat pack furniture, I haven't had the chance.
I'm feeling poorly today, so am sitting in bed whilst the boys are downstairs destroying the house and thought I'd get on with it. I was actually reading Fran's blog - I'd do a link to it, if I knew how - and thought there is no time like the present. I love Fran's blog. It's so original and inspiring. Just bursting full of her talent. I've framed the print she sent me, titled 'Home', but I don't know where to put it. I want it in every room. Maybe when our sofa and last few bits of furniture arrive, I'll know where to place it.
Getting furniture has been a real pain. My main gripe is there is NO Ikea in Aberdeen. I'm so used to have one ten minutes up the road. You can see how they make so much money. Furniture costs an absolute furniture and with two young boys who cannot grasp the concept of NOT drawing on walls or furniture, I just refuse to invest in anything. I don't want to be the sort of mum who stands guard at her sideboard. If they draw on the flat pack we went with from Argos then I may not be happy, but I won't lose the plot. All the 'nice' furniture shops up here have half price sales on are full of stuff that never cost 50% more, they're just trying to look like they're doing a deal. I've worked in retail.....I know the tricks of the trade. The never ending sale is one of them. Please bring Ikea to Aberdeen. Please, please, please.
The weather has been fine up here so far. I know we'll be in for a harsh winter, but I've stocked up on wellies, winter coats and jumpers for us all, so we'll just have to manage. I also think they are probably slightly better prepared for the extreme weather up here. Unlike London. I won't forget the day London stood still in February. The day little Sophie was born.
We've got a weekend at home planned. The last few weeks have been manic as John has been involved with loads of exhibitions at work. Yep, Offshore Europe sounded an absolute scream and did Offshore Windfarms in Stockholm. It's a big deal up here in Aberdeen, as it's the heart of the Oil and Gas industry. It was on the news and everything. Anyway, it's all over, so with any luck we'll see more of John for a while.
Will try and unpack some more, get rid of all the cardboard packaging we've accumulated over the last month and try and get out and about with the boys. There's a farmers market down the road tomorrow, with local produce for local people. It's all ever so Scottish up here. All the national newspapers are the Scottish version. I'll get used to it.
Corrie's getting on my nerves. I hate the Molly & Kevin storyline....apparently Molly gets all Glenn Close. As if.
I'll get in the shower I think, may perk me all.
Love you all and I'll try and put some photo's up of where we live and the house etc
xxx

4 comments:

  1. Very impressed you have started your blog, keep it coming !

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay!!! that is a brilliant idea sal. such a good way to keep in touch. i will be following you on your journey. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sal, loving the blog, it's a great way of feeling closer to you and you write so well.

    I just wandered around your streets on google maps street view thing, feel like I know the place now, where's the Haggis shop?

    Rosa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely that you've started blogging sal. very excited to follow your journey...xxx

    ReplyDelete