Saturday 21 November 2009

Parties of tat...




I think I shall try and write a cheery blog as the last few have been a bit sad or indeed a harsh insight into my insecurities and mental fuck-ups. Lets go for a little light heartedness, shall we?

I got invited to a Jewellery party at Pamela's from number 35 and it all happened last Thursday. I was quite looking forward to it and imagined I would purchase a key piece of tasteful and simple silver. WRONG. Pamela is a lovely lady who I met on the trick or treating night out and I was touched she invited me. I went over, fashionably late, armed with a rather tasty bottle of Sauvignon Blanc (on special in Asda, shhhh!) and Pamela looked at me as if I had presented me with a bottle of Colombian virgin's blood. Do people in Scotland not arrive with a little something for the host? Once that was out the way we went into the living room. I was the last to arrive and a hush fell. I recognised a mum from the nursery who always ignores me, but as I was so pleased to see a familiar face I said 'Hello' to her in the most over animated fashion. Almost children's TV league. I then searched for somewhere to sit and one of the ladies selling the jewellery offered me her seat, which I took.


In the corner of the room was a trestle table covered in boxes and displays of the items on sale. Even from a distance I could tell it was cheap and awful and lo and behold, at close range it was just as revolting. However, I was clearly the only one that thought this. They were buying whacks of the stuff. I panicked. Was it me? Had missed all the good stuff. Each woman had three or four pieces as I struggled to find one thing I would immediately throw in the bin. Plus this stuff was not cheap. I wish I had the balls to not have bought anything, but in a desperate bid to fit in I found a bracelet that was quite nice and something Mum would like. It was literally the one nice piece. The type of stuff on sale was brooches in the shape of 'elegant hands' or musical notes, covered in diamante. God, it was just the worst costume jewellery. Who makes this stuff? My contribution to the evening was a fiver. The other ladies were spending about twenty pounds. I thought about spending more and then thought, no. This is shit. I did have a bit of a chat and Pamela, who wasn't actually selling it, just hosting, is a really nice lady and easy to talk to.


I also got speaking to Julie who is mother to triplet girls, who live opposite. Julie and her husband had IVF and whilst only two embryo's were planted, one split. She was very funny and down to earth and we had a laugh about the joys of having multiples and exchanged stories of children escaping and pooing their pants. I told her to knock anytime. It's hard making friends when you have none, as I always feel I sound a tad desperate and slightly high pitched. Plus I don't think anyone actually could like me. Especially up here. I worry they all think I'm a stuck up southerner. I don't think I do anything that would make them think this, other than having a sticker on my car that reads 'Scotland is shite.'



I don't seem to having any luck at posting photo's on here, but there are some recent ones on the flickr website. The latest are of a rather windy afternoon at the beach. I forget how close to the coast we are sometimes. Whilst it looks as cold as cold can be, it is rather a nice beach. I think it can be busy in the summer. I have no desire to go swimming but look forward to a few beach picnics.



Is anyone else watching 'I'm a celebrity...'? I'm loving most of the celebs, but George Hamiliton is hilarious. Who knew? The only person I REALLY dislike is Joe Bugner. He's scares me. A very odd man.


It's been another lovely week here in Kintore. We've missed the floods, luckily and had a few days of cold and sunshine. I hope you are all well and happy.


Love


Sally

xxx

2 comments:

  1. elegant hands! made me laugh out loud. sal, there is nothing you can do to make them think you are not a stuck up londoner apart from what you are doing - getting out, chatting to people, (buying crap jewellery). it must be really hard, but don't be too tough on yourself, anyone would find it hard. it can take ages to make just one really good friend so if you have just the odd nice nursery mum or neighbour to chat to for a while and all your good friends still down here, it's not so bad. at least you have us!
    i wonder what the wine thing was all about? did she open the bottle in the end?

    next time you go to one of those things, try entering the room singing "would you like a cup of tea with that biscuit madam", throw in some jazz hands and high kicks, see what reaction it gets. if just one person laughs, she's a keeper! hey she might even join in, it might be one of those songs only the best people know.

    i've lost it.

    i'm trying to get gus to sit up on his own but he keeps toppling over to one side. i've started calling him rupreck.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do take things to others houses, it be rude not to, but then from where you are to my bit of Scotland I could be classed as a stuck Southerner, lol

    ReplyDelete